Aug 1, 2015

Embossing powder + Stamps!

Hello there Sweet fans! It's Kristie Larsen here to share a fun little tutorial that involves embossing powder and some Sweet stamps

First, here is my card. I created a big gold emblem for the front of my card. Let me show you what I did so you can create your own!


First I started by using the fun California Lovin' stamp set. I randomly stamped the state all across my card stock panel.
Next I took the big GOLDEN sentiment and measured it onto a scrap piece of card stock to make a mask. I wrote right on the paper to measure how big I wanted it. I didn't want it too big or it would cover up all my background stamping. You definitely want to use card stock. Thicker masks for this technique work best. 


 I took a die cut and partially cut one side and then the other to create my own style of mask. I did this because I wanted it to be a specific size and I didn't have a die cut that was perfect. That's the great thing, you can alway make your supplies do what you want! You just have to get creative.

Ok, here is where it gets tricky. I first took my anti-static powder and applied it all around the mask to keep my powder from sticking where I didn't want it. I then took my Versamark ink pad and smooshed and smeared it INTO the empty mask space. Thus making the entire shape sticky. I then pulled off the mask, covered the ink with gold embossing powder and heat set it. You are going to want to do this 2 or 3 times to get the desired thickness and constancy for a good impression.  I used Ultra Thick embossing powder so I only had to do this step twice. It was already nice and thick.  Just put the mask back over the embossed area, smear it with more Versamark, add another layer of powder and heat set it. If you use regular embossing powder I recommend doing this step at least 3 times.


Ok, so once you are on your last heating, have your stamp ready and while your embossing powder is nice and hot, you stamp the image (in my case a sentiment) right INTO the hot melted powder.

I rocked my stamp back and forth a bit to be sure I got it nice and impressed. Then I pulled it off. I don't think it will get stuck in there...Haven't had that happen to me yet! This is a fun way to make it look like an old wax seal or you can use it to add little bits of color and textured stamping to your card, layout or planner.


The last thing I did was trim down the card panel and color around the states with some Copic markers. I then added a vellum strip with an additional sentiment and some gold sequins to finish off the look.



This is a really fun technique to try if you like fast moving, hands on crafting! You have to be on your toes to be sure things melt and press in the way you want it. But the fun part is, it creates a different look every time you do it! You never know what you are going to get.

Thanks for stopping in today. I hope you have learned something fun! Also, wasn't last months release so so great?! I know August is going to be just as amazing. Be sure to follow us on Facebook to be in the know for all things Sweet.www.thwww.sweetstampshop.com The releases just keep getting better and better!

Until next time,

xoxo
k


No comments:


 photo copyright.jpg
envye template.